Home ShaderMap 4

Light Scan Normal Map Issue

edited February 2019 in ShaderMap 4

Hi, I'm having an issue with the normal map that gets created from a light scan. I'm using 6 images to create the scan and the albedo comes out perfect, however, the normal map comes out with a large gradient over it. I had hoped to just put a high pass filter over the normal map, but filters don't seem to work at all with normal maps. Is there a way to equalize color to get rid of the gradient similar to in substance designer?

Thanks!

Comments

• ShaderMap internally stores normal maps in vector format rather than color format, standard color based filters won't work on XYZ vectors. It may be possible to create a normal map filter to remove gradients (usually created from uneven lighting) that have an equal distribution over the entire map. I will investigate this and possibly create a new filter to remove the gradients.

Additionally, your post has reminded me that I need to differentiate between normal filters and "color" filters in the filter stack interface. Possibly only showing available filters for the type of map.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into this issue further and post back (with the normal map you sent me via email) once I've developed possible solutions.

Best,
    Neil

• edited April 2019

Hello, I got the same issue. I would like to try the "Normal Map from Photos" like in the tutorial writen... BUT I don´t find the template "Normal Map from Photos" in the “Open Template Lib” drop list control. (My version is Pro 4.2.2) Where is it ???
    Please help!

• Hi Monosolo.

That template is no longer shipped with ShaderMap. The map node that generates the normals from the 4 directions is still available. Create an empty project by clicking "Advanced" from the Start screen. Add your 4 images as color images. Then, in the "Add Node to Project" dialog, check "Show Legacy Plugins". You can then add the "Normal from Photo Set" map.

• Hi Slothstronaught,

I've added a new filter to ShaderMap that should help with the problem you've been having. Thanks for providing the source materials.

https://rendering.systems/forums/discussion/289/remove-gradient-from-light-scan-normals

• Thank you tons, this will help greatly!