Home ShaderMap 4

Wrong Output in Normal Map from Photos

Hello,

I'm testing Shadermap 4 and the feature to create normal maps from 4 photos. There seems to be something wrong in the creation of the normal map, I'm attaching the proper normal map created in Substance Designer, from the same 4 photos:

The output of Substance Designer (left) and Shadermap. I'm showing the red and green channels so the differences are clearer. I've confirmed in two render engines that it's the Substance Designer version that works for all lighting angles.

I65pz0n.jpg

jXgVRWh.jpg

Comments

• Thanks for bringing this to my attention, and for including the source maps. I will investigate the issue ASAP and post back.

Kind regards,
    Neil
  • Okay, I've generated a normal map from the 4 source images provided. Now I need to do some comparisons.

It would be very helpful to me if you can post the Normals generated (rather than just the red and green channels) of both applications so I can run some balance tests.

Thanks,
    Neil
  • Hi Neil, thanks for taking a look. Here are two outputs from SM and SD. I used the "TS" preset in SM and strength of 100. In SD it only has an OpenGL or DirectX option and I chose the DirectX option. The output size is different from the inputs in SD because it only allows fixed sized outputs.

cZOlfSo.png
    UiEK8hg.png
  • Thanks for the examples. I'll run some tests and try to make improvements to the system. I'll post back here as I work on this.

I'm glad you brought this to my attention when you did. A more advanced version of the Normal from Photos plugin is scheduled to be developed early next year and It will be good to have these artifacts worked out before beginning on that project.

Best,
    Neil