Home ShaderMap Legacy

Program Start Issue: SOLVED

Neil,

I finally got around to installing the ShaderMap 2 demo that I downloaded sometime after you first released (2.0.4), and the program starts, but with errors locating the material XML's (states it can not find them, all three).

No problems with map conversions, but nothing loads onto model, nor any access to materials module.

I have checked, and all the XML files the program says it can't find are there in their default location. I did not alter install parameters, so it is a default install on 64 bit architecture from your installer.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled three times, but all installs yield the same results.

System environment:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, Quad Core, 6 Gig RAM.

I know about the 2.0.7 update, and plan on installing if you can help me solve why ShaderMap can not locate it's XML files necessary for the material editor/3D viewer to work.

Side note: I also tried installing 2.0.7 on this laptop (for internet), but the onboard video does not have the necessary shader model, so it failed. Environment; Windows XP Home, single core Celeron Mobile, 2 Gig RAM.

I could not find any requirement specs on your site, so I had no indication of what the minimum requirements are for installing the program on any environment. You might want to think about adding that information for future patrons, and take out the guess work/trial-n-error.

Any help you can provide to solve the materials issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Take care...
Ken

Comments

• DaremoK3 wrote:
    I finally got around to installing the ShaderMap 2 demo that I downloaded sometime after you first released (2.0.4), and the program starts, but with errors locating the material XML's (states it can not find them, all three).

Hi and thanks for reporting your issue.

What are the exact error codes that you are receiving?

--

The application is looking for the XML files that are copied or saved into the hidden directory: C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\SM2\

The files loaded at start are:

options.xml
    support.xml
    lib.xml
    libd.xml
    lib.xml
    libd.xml

They are in the various sub directories of the application data folder. Delete the folder C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\SM2 if you can find it.

ShaderMap 2 will rebuild that folder next launch with defaults. If it does not then you may require administrator privileges to write to that directory.

Also please tell me the full application data path where you find the SM2 folder, does it contain non ASCII or UNICODE characters?

Neil
  • Hi Neil,

Thank you for getting back to me. You are quick good sir...

I run in full Admin mode, and installed as Admin, so I don't think there should be any issues pertaining to usage/roaming rights.

Did not think to look for hidden data, but that is because the error codes link to the bin file containing three XML files in the material folder.

Here are the error codes with corresponding XML files ShaderMap can't seem to locate at start-up:

Error Box #1:
    Failed To Compile Material FX
    XML Parse Error: Unkown reason.
    File: 0.standard.xml: (65)

Error Box #2:
    File: 1.parallax.xml: (67)

Error Box #3:
    File: 2.cel.xml: (55)

Full install path is:

C:\Program Files\ShaderMap 2 DEMO (default x64 install)

Does not contain any ASCII, or UNICODE that I can see, but a variable that I have on my system is I run a lot of Japanese programs that utilize Kanji, so I have full IME enabled (read/write with UNICODE).

I have noticed on some program installs, regardless of origin, Windows substitutes a Japanese Kanji symbol (looks similar to Yen) in place of path "forward slash". I usually accommodate installs by copy/pasting the symbol into the path if I add on custom folder paths (so as not to confuse windows with mixed parameters).

This was not the case with your program install, but I will go back and double check this.

Do you think this UNICODE variable on my system could possibly be a reason for the parsing errors?

As I said before, the program still runs after acknowledging the error codes. I just do not have any access to apply the maps to the model in the 3D viewer, or work with the Material Editor.

I await your direction.

Take care...
    KenAddendum:

Also, I went ahead and uninstalled 2.0.4, and installed 2.0.7, but results in same error codes.

So, I think it is safe to rule out the errors are linked to 2.0.4 install only.

Ken
  • DaremoK3 wrote:
    Here are the error codes with corresponding XML files ShaderMap can't seem to locate at start-up:

Error Box #1:
    File: 0.standard.xml: (65)

Error Box #2:
    File: 1.parallax.xml: (67)

Error Box #3:
    File: 2.cel.xml: (55)

What is the make and model of your Graphics/Video card?

It seems that you are having a problem with DirectX. For some reason the Direct3D compiler is unable to parse the Effect files found in the material XML.

Specifically the Direct3D function D3DXCreateEffect is failing. When the function fails it should return compilation errors but it is not doing that, it is returning simply that it failed without any good reason.

You should make sure you have a fully complaint DirectX9C graphics card then do a reinstall of Direct3D 9C:

A web installer is located here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

If this does not solve the problem then we will try something else.

* The requirements for ShaderMap 2 are on the bottom-right of the downloads page: http://shadermap.com/downloads/
  • O.k., graphics card and Direct X might be the logical culprit then.

Graphics card: ATI HD 4200 Integrated GPU with Direct X 10.1 support.

When I first installed ShaderMap 2.0.4, and started up for the first time it did throw an error about not having d3dx9_42.dll installed.

I installed that one DLL, and ShaderMap proceeded to load (with the material support errors). I did not give it a second thought something else was needed via Direct X. I don't install full Direct X anymore since it failed to install needed DLL's in the past. The system already has Direct X 10, and most of the DX9 DLL's. I just extract, and install from CAB files in DirectX9.0c (Jun2010 - last available) any needed DLL's when a program asks for it.

Also, this is an offline machine with no internet access, so no web-install forthcoming. I will (in this case) reinstall the complete DX9c package in hopes it will alleviate whatever missing parameter is prohibiting the retrieval of the XML files.

Thank you for the help. I will report back later if reinstalling DX9c corrects the issue.

EDIT: I must have missed the system requirements when downloading (not enough sleep), but I implore you, please add the minimum graphics card shader model required as well. Some of us are still working on antiquated equipment, and need all the help we can get when it comes to what we can, or can not install due to limitations. My XP laptop stated I needed shader model 2.1a (IIRC) in order to install the software. Minimum Open GL required would not hurt as well.

Take care...
    Ken
  • DaremoK3 wrote:
    O.k., graphics card and Direct X might be the logical culprit then.
    Thank you for the help. I will report back later if reinstalling DX9c corrects the issue.

EDIT: I must have missed the system requirements when downloading (not enough sleep), but I implore you, please add the minimum graphics card shader model required as well. Some of us are still working on antiquated equipment, and need all the help we can get when it comes to what we can, or can not install due to limitations.

The HLSL Compiler also needs to be installed on your system as part of the DirectX 9 install. It is installed as part of the web installer. An offline version is available here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

The minimum shader models are Vertex Shader 2.0 and Pixel Shader 2_a.
    Open GL is not used with ShaderMap 2. I will update the specifications on the website tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Neil,

I solved the issue without reinstalling DX9c (which would have probably overwritten my DX11 default). After further investigation (and discovering DX11 was current install) I concluded I needed to install D3DCompiler_42.dll from the CAB files as well.

I am happy to report this was the missing parameter preventing the Material FX XML's from loading. All is well now, and ShaderMap is working correctly.

I'm off to play. Can't wait to try out imported meshes as brushes for normals creation. Opposed to some consensus, I think that was a brilliant implementation. Especially since one can rotate the model/brush to use any angle for varied results.

Thanks again for all your help. Consider me "purchased" (Will purchase in a couple weeks when I can get this $40.00 cash translated into digital currency). Very worth the contribution to your future development, and I look forward to the items you are currently working on.

*EDIT: I was writing when you were writing your post. I assume we came to the same conclusion, and the HLSL Compiler is the Compiler_DLL that I installed. The offline install package you linked to is the one I have archived and used.

Take care...
    Ken
  • Great to hear that you have solved the material issue.

Also, thanks for the kind words about the normal editor, it's only going to get better.

Kind regards,
    Neil