Home ShaderMap Legacy

If the Source is 8-bit Why Does ShaderMap say 16?

16-bit-not.PNG

Hi Neil,

In different experiments today I brought an 8-bit depth image (jpg) into ShaderMap 2.0.7.0 (downloaded and installed 5.2.2013) to use as a source. For reasons unclear, ShaderMap reports it as being; SRC 16-BIT. How's come?

Thanks for any reply!

Kelly

Comments

• Kelly wrote:
    16-bit-not.PNG
    In different experiments today I brought an 8-bit depth image (jpg) into ShaderMap 2.0.7.0 (downloaded and installed 5.2.2013) to use as a source. For reasons unclear, ShaderMap reports it as being; SRC 16-BIT. How's come?

I wonder if you have FORCE 16-BIT MAPS enabled in the Map Options. If so then once loaded the system will convert any source map to an internal 16 bit format.
  • BINGO!

Is that the default?
  • Kelly wrote:
    Is that the default?

It is not on by default though it may be in the 2.1 release.

Displacement and Normals generated from the 16 bit/channel source maps are far superior and can later be saved as 8 bit maps if desired.
  • 16-bit-not.PNG
    In either case, shouldn't ShaderMap correctly indicate source's bit-depth?
  • Kelly wrote:
    16-bit-not.PNG
    In either case, shouldn't ShaderMap correctly indicate source's bit-depth?

This is a matter of perspective of course. The source map has technically been converted to 16 bit on load. Perhaps a different vernacular is applicable for source maps converted.

Maybe:

SRC 8(16)-BIT

or

SRC 8/16-BIT

I'll add this to the list
  • Neil, I think your point about perspective nails it, and really it's my viewing of the message (not the message itself) that needed updating ;)