Home ShaderMap Legacy

Greyscale Picture

Hi everybody in Forum

first sorry for my bad english, i'm from Austria

My Question, what is the best way, to make greyscale picture for Relief engraving.Thanks for your Tipps
I'm a newbie in CNC graving

best regards
Richard

Comments

• My Question, what is the best way, to make greyscale picture for Relief engraving.Thanks for your Tipps
    I'm a newbie in CNC graving

Hi Richard,

I think what you are looking for is a displacement map (also known as height map).

ShaderMap automatically generates displacement from color images but for the accuracy of CNC machining you may need to use a combination of tools such as Photoshop and/or a 3d modeling program.
  • Hi,

I'm new to this site and using ShaderMap, just recently bought it.

So far, I'm blown away by the detail of the normals. Perfect!

Now, I need to create GLOSS maps... from my understanding they're height displacement map, so then would DISPLACEMENT map created by ShaderMap work for this or not?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. While at it, may you please explain what AO is. I understand what DIFFUSE, NORMAL, and SPECULAR sort of, but DISP and AO, I'm at a loss.

Lastly, I'm not sure whether ShaderMap handles this. What is a MASK map? How to generate those?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
    AI
  • NomadicAI7 wrote:
    Now, I need to create GLOSS maps... from my understanding they're height displacement map, so then would DISPLACEMENT map created by ShaderMap work for this or not?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. While at it, may you please explain what AO is. I understand what DIFFUSE, NORMAL, and SPECULAR sort of, but DISP and AO, I'm at a loss.

Lastly, I'm not sure whether ShaderMap handles this. What is a MASK map? How to generate those?

Glossiness controls the width of the specular highlight, where a Specular Map controls the intensity. You can use any grayscale image to create one. The brighter the pixel the more gloss.

Displacement (Height map) defines the height of a surface (black pixels are lower and white pixels are higher). In SM2 this is used to generate the normal maps and AO maps.

AO (Ambient Occlusion) in SM2 is created from displacement. For every pixel, shadow is calculated based on how much the surrounding displacement occludes light from radiating back towards the eye. Baking this into a map is most times faster than calculating it in real-time.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambient_occlusion

Here is an article on Mask Maps: http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/16/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/files/GUID-11F039BF-8A3D-4728-B7DC-B535DF85F155.htm

SM2 does not currently support masking.