Home ShaderMap Legacy

Applying Shader to Imported .OBJ - Solved

Hi there just started using the demo for shadermap 2 and so far its looks good, but I was importing my own custom .obj files, triangulating first got them to display no problem, but trying to apply a shader to it (by dragging and dropping the shader icon directly onto the model in the 3d view) would only apply it to groups of faces. I have no way of knowing what separated these groups, the geo was all combined into one piece, I did not have edge seams. Is there any way to "flood" or apply the shader to all faces of the .obj, or am I stuck dragging and dropping over and over again on the seemingly random chunks of my model. Also does anyone have any idea why it is applying the shader this way? Is there an .obj export option I should try?

Comments

• Fabutan wrote:
    Hi there just started using the demo for shadermap 2 and so far its looks good, but I was importing my own custom .obj files, triangulating first got them to display no problem, but trying to apply a shader to it (by dragging and dropping the shader icon directly onto the model in the 3d view) would only apply it to groups of faces. I have no way of knowing what separated these groups, the geo was all combined into one piece, I did not have edge seams. Is there any way to "flood" or apply the shader to all faces of the .obj, or am I stuck dragging and dropping over and over again on the seemingly random chunks of my model. Also does anyone have any idea why it is applying the shader this way? Is there an .obj export option I should try?

Usually ShaderMap separates subsets as they are defined in the OBJ file. It may be that your exporter is automatically chunking the model at creation. Could you please post (or send me via email) a sample OBJ model?

I wonder which version of the demo you are using?
  • RSI wrote:
    Usually ShaderMap separates subsets as they are defined in the OBJ file. It may be that your exporter is automatically chunking the model at creation. Could you please post (or send me via email) a sample OBJ model?

I wonder which version of the demo you are using?

I grabbed the demo that is currently up on the main page. I can send you a sample of the obj. if you need it for debugging but it looks like it was a subset issue, I turned off smoothing groups on my obj. export settings and that solved the problem.

Thanks for the quick reply.However I would still like to know if there is an option for applying a shader to all smoothing groups and if not I feel as though that should be an option!
  • Fabutan wrote:
    I grabbed the demo that is currently up on the main page. I can send you a sample of the obj. if you need it for debugging but it looks like it was a subset issue, I turned off smoothing groups on my obj. export settings and that solved the problem.

Thanks for the quick reply.However I would still like to know if there is an option for applying a shader to all smoothing groups and if not I feel as though that should be an option!

Great that it is working now. I do not need the OBJ files for debugging now. Thanks for posting the solution.

There is no option for applying a material to all groups at the same time. This is a good feature to add though so it has been added to the list. It will probably take the form: drag material while holding a key. Possibly will show up in the August release.

_NEil