Home ShaderMap Legacy

Undo Memory

Any chance of implementing some sort of undo memory?

For my workflow I like to see what my normal painting looks like, so I pop out of the N Brush tool and preview it. If I don't like the stroke I'm in trouble as there is no way to undo it.

It would be helpful if SM2 would remember my undos as long as I don't do anything other than preview my work.

Currently I'd need to save the project, do some brushwork, preview the brushwork. If I like it resave the project, if I don't reopen the project without saving. Repeat, repeat, repeat... This is kind of tedious.

Comments

• shirokuma wrote:
    Any chance of implementing some sort of undo memory?

For my workflow I like to see what my normal painting looks like, so I pop out of the N Brush tool and preview it. If I don't like the stroke I'm in trouble as there is no way to undo it.

It would be helpful if SM2 would remember my undos as long as I don't do anything other than preview my work.

Currently I'd need to save the project, do some brushwork, preview the brushwork. If I like it resave the project, if I don't reopen the project without saving. Repeat, repeat, repeat... This is kind of tedious.

What do you mean be 'preview your work'? Do you mean in the Material Visualizer or using some other system?

You can pop the Material Visualizer out into a different window so you can preview your painting results in realtime. To do this go to the Material Visualizer and click the external window button on the very bottom-right of the application window. Now you can preview the results without having to leave the Normal Editor.

I suppose it would be possible to dump all of the Normal Editing undo/redo to file for as long as the project remains open and the map remains locked. It could be loaded back to memory once the map is edited again. I'll give this consideration.

Thanks,
    Neil
  • Ah! Popping out the Material Visualizer is exactly what I needed. I didn't see that. Thanks!

As someone that does user interface design as part of my job I'd say the icon to pop the window out is a little too dim. If you look at the main interface on the bottom left pane the folder icon labeled "BAT" and the disk icon labeled "ALL" when inactive are brighter than the material visualizer pop out window when it's active.
  • shirokuma wrote:
    Ah! Popping out the Material Visualizer is exactly what I needed. I didn't see that. Thanks!

As someone that does user interface design as part of my job I'd say the icon to pop the window out is a little too dim. If you look at the main interface on the bottom left pane the folder icon labeled "BAT" and the disk icon labeled "ALL" when inactive are brighter than the material visualizer pop out window when it's active.

Thanks, I've been getting a lot of that about the Visualizer pop-out. :) It'll be brighter in the next update.

Cheers,
    Neil
  • Great!

I would also vote for subdued or no scroll arrows when there isn't anything to scroll.
  • Any chance of implementing the Visualizer pop-out inside of the N-Brush tool? I just went to paint a normal texture and realized after I was in the editor I had forgotten to pop out the Visualizer, so I had to leave edit mode, pop out the Visualizer, and go back into edit mode. I'm sure after a doing this a few thousand times I'll start to remember beforehand, but it would be nice to have the option inside of the edit tool.
  • shirokuma wrote:
    Any chance of implementing the Visualizer pop-out inside of the N-Brush tool?

There is a good chance that will be added. Thanks for the suggestion.

Neil