Home ShaderMap Legacy

Map Size Limitations?

What are the map size limitations for ShaderMap Pro 2 or does it only depend upon memory?

Comments

• What are the map size limitations for ShaderMap Pro 2 or does it only depend upon memory?

It depends on memory size. It is compiled to use virtual memory if the user runs out of RAM but that would slow things down considerably.
  • Thanks. I am running on Windows 7, but a 32-bit work machine (at a university). With a 8192x8192 PNG I get the following error -

'Memory Allocation Error: Failed to allocate optx_image_16->__pixel_d_array.' and

'Failed to setup default maps from source.'

It depends on memory size. It is compiled to use virtual memory if the user runs out of RAM but that would slow things down considerably.
  • Thanks. I am running on Windows 7, but a 32-bit work machine (at a university). With a 8192x8192 PNG I get the following error...

It looks as though your system isn't allowing for the image class to allocate enough memory for the image. That error specifically means Windows wouldn't give ShaderMap enough memory for the image.
  • RSI wrote:
    It looks as though your system isn't allowing for the image class to allocate enough memory for the image. That error specifically means Windows wouldn't give ShaderMap enough memory for the image.

An update (if it helps) -

Changing the PNG to 8-bit from the previous 16-bit eliminated the first message (about the optx_image_16).

Changing my virtual RAM to 8192 eliminated the second message.

Thanks for your help.
  • Changing the PNG to 8-bit from the previous 16-bit eliminated the first message (about the optx_image_16).
    Changing my virtual RAM to 8192 eliminated the second message.

Glad it's working now. It makes sense, the 16 bit images can take up a lot of room without a decent amount of RAM and a 64 bit system.

Cheers,
    Neil