Home ShaderMap Legacy

Strange Artifacts when Creating Displacement from Normal

Hi!

I'm pretty impressed by almost everything - from custom but very consistent and easy to pickup GUI, to the price. But when I evaluate a demo, I found a problem:

shadermap2.jpg

alternative method of creating displacements is working well, but default always create bandings. I try to set all the presets with different coordinate system (I think default not proper for this one) but banding is similar in any case. Effect of working looks very good, but the banding ruins it.

in case you'll be so kind and check - that's the normal:

link to normal

Regards

Adam

Comments

• alternative method of creating displacements is working well, but default always create bandings. I try to set all the presets with different coordinate system (I think default not proper for this one) but banding is similar in any case. Effect of working looks very good, but the banding ruins it.

Hi Adam,

The normal -> displacement map works best on normals generated from height / displacement. In essence it is a way to recover displacement from normals generated from displacement.

If normals are generated from baking algorithms then the displacement map will have those artifacts. This is the reason for providing the alternate conversion method.

I will be looking for additional conversion methods going forwards and hope to improve on the existing ones.

Regards,
    Neil
  • RSI wrote:
    If normals are generated from baking algorithms then the displacement map will have those artifacts. This is the reason for providing the alternate conversion method.

I will be looking for additional conversion methods going forwards and hope to improve on the existing ones.

Thank you for explanation!

Adam