Home ShaderMap Legacy

How Do I Convert Displacement to Normals?

I'd like to take an object, apply a displacement texture, and get out a Normal map that takes into account the object's shape and UV map to generate an appropriate Normal map.

Currently, I've tried opening a 3d object, loading a grayscale displacement map, then create a 'Normal (disp)' map.

But the Normal map doesn't seem to account for the shape at ALL; there are really visible seams and spots where the Normal is inverted. It's a mess.

Am I missing something obvious?

Comments

• wtimmins wrote:
    I'd like to take an object, apply a displacement texture, and get out a Normal map that takes into account the object's shape and UV map to generate an appropriate Normal map.

Am I missing something obvious?

ShaderMap doesn't take into account displacement from a map applied to a 3d model. The only way to bake displacement with SM3 is by using a low polygon cage with setup UV coordinates. This cage model is expanded around the high polygon object in the model setup. The displacement is generated by projecting the surface of the high polygon mesh onto the low polygon mesh.

If you want to upload an example to a cloud drive and post a link, I can try to help you further.

Best regards,
    Neil