Home ShaderMap Legacy

Channels Logic & Embedded Maps

Hi guys,

I need help to understand which logic there is in channel mixer when I embed a map into another.

More in detail I need to understand, first of all, which order (if there's a order) to follow to embed maps and which channels R G B A I need to link and why.

My target is to make textures for game materials props (ie. rocks, mountains, etc)

From my words I think you can understand my confusion.

Thanks in advance

-Kafar

Comments

• Hi Kafar,

1. Drag a map and hold the shift key. This will prepare a map to be embedded.

2. Drop the map onto any map. This will open the Channel Mixer.

3. Check any color channel you want to embed. Drag it’s arrow line to any channel where you want it placed when that image is saved.

4. Embed up to 4 maps in any 1 map. Double-click an embedded map to bring back its Channel Mixer.

Here are the instructions with images http://rsi3d.tumblr.com/post/25584147215/embedding-maps-with-shadermap-2-drag-a-map-and

_NEil
  • RSI wrote:
    Hi Kafar,

1. Drag a map and hold the shift key. This will prepare a map to be embedded.

2. Drop the map onto any map. This will open the Channel Mixer.

3. Check any color channel you want to embed. Drag it’s arrow line to any channel where you want it placed when that image is saved.

4. Embed up to 4 maps in any 1 map. Double-click an embedded map to bring back its Channel Mixer.

Here are the instructions with images http://rsi3d.tumblr.com/post/25584147215/embedding-maps-with-shadermap-2-drag-a-map-and

_NEil

Thanks for reply.

Please, which is the logic to choose a channel and drag its arrow line to another channel? I'm sorry about my question but I don't understand this step, probably it's my low knowledge about the channels argument placed on other channels.

Can you explain this with a sample about a rock's material? I want to build a material in Unity using a diffuse map and a normal map but on these two maps I would like to embed a cavity, specular, ambient occlusion, height maps.

Thanks in advance.

-Kafar
  • Kafar wrote:
    Can you explain this with a sample about a rock's material? I want to build a material in Unity using a diffuse map and a normal map but on these two maps I would like to embed a cavity, specular, ambient occlusion, height maps.

A rock Diffuse map will require R G B channels for color. The corresponding Normal map will also require R G B channels for vectors. This leaves the A (Alpha) channels available on both of these images.

Cavity, Specular, Ambient Occlusion, and Height maps are all mono channel images. This usually means that the R G B channels are all the exact same (this is how ShaderMap stores them).

To embed any mono channel map into the A channel of the Diffuse or Normal map, simply check the R (or G or B) checkbox and drag it's arrow to the A channel above it.

tumblr_m5z9bzG6UE1ryf1wso3_500.jpg