Home ShaderMap Legacy

Feedback and Small Bugs

Hi,

I've just purchased ShaderMap 2. Great tool! However, I've found some issues with it. I'll be posting them here.

Here are some small bugs with the interface:

- When the icon "Lock canvas to the selected map" is selected and a zoom value is chosen, selecting another maps resets the zoom to the other map's zoom. It should remain set to the locked map's zoom.

- When a zoom is selected, and an ongoing rendering is interrupted (because changing a map setting while rendering), then the zoom is restarted to the "fit inside the canvas" value. This is pretty annoying especially when examining the details of a map while trying several settings.

- If I click and drag anything within the editor (slider, map, 3D), then I move the cursor outside the application window and release the mouse button, the drag action keeps "active" when I move the cursor back inside the application.

Comments

• Thanks for the great feedback!

I've added all of these issues to my bug list.

_NEil
  • I've found what it seems a bigger one, unless I'm missing something. The Detail settings for the Displacement V2 map seem not to be working correctly.

First, I've set Auto Edge to zero. Then I set to zero all three settings (High, Mid, Low). This produces a black image, correct so far.

Then I set the High Detail setting to 1, and all the high details appear there. But there's no difference among setting it to 1 or 100 or anything between. The result is always the same. Here you can see a comparison:

High Detail = 1 (Low, Mid = 0)
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/380750/Tmp/ShaderMap_HighDetail_1.png

High Detail = 100 (Low, Mid = 0)
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/380750/Tmp/ShaderMap_HighDetail_100.png

The same happens with Low and High detail settings.

To me as developer, it looks like the internal code is expecting floating values from 0 to 1, but the slider is providing it with values from 0 to 100, without being scaled down to the range 0..1. Hope this helps!
  • Edy wrote:
    First, I've set Auto Edge to zero. Then I set to zero all three settings (High, Mid, Low). This produces a black image, correct so far.

Then I set the High Detail setting to 1, and all the high details appear there. But there's no difference among setting it to 1 or 100 or anything between. The result is always the same...

The slider values act as weights in an averaging formula. So a value of 1 out of 100 when the other two values are 0 out of 100 will result in the high detail map being fully weighted. Also there is a normalization that happens after the blending of the detail levels.

I'll add this to the list and see if I can make improvements. Thanks again.

_NEil
  • Ahh, okay. So setting the three High-Mid-Low sliders to the same value means a 33% weight to each one, no matter the actual value, right?

I was expecting to control individually each amount of detail. In my case, I needed to extract a map with a small portion of the high details only. I had ensured that "Post Normalize" option was disabled.

I'd suggest adding a new checkbox "Normalize Detail Weights" or something similar for allowing the detail sliders to configure the absolute weight of each detail channel.

Thank you for the clarification.