Home ShaderMap Legacy

Maya Issues with SM2

Noticed something odd, no matter what I try, maya just does not like normal maps from SM2, I am not sure if this has something to do with settings I should have the normal maps set to or file types or what.
I have tried just about every setting for file type and that kind of thing.

I bring them in and , the scale is way off and the normal is also pancaked like its hitting a height limit in maya and just looks wrong. when I scale it back, it still looks pancaked and has hard edges like I have max sharpened the steps of the normal (despite having tested with gaussian blur to see if it was just the image I am using)

Anyone got any ideas about bringing normals from SM2 to Maya?
because by default when I actually get the normal maps into maya, the scale of the normal is completely different from the preview window of SM2. and all messed up.
which is of course, most aggrevating.
[/align]
really starting to annoy me, love the program though :(

(pretty sure the issue is with maya not SM2)

Comments

• Fenrix wrote:
    I bring them in and , the scale is way off and the normal is also pancaked like its hitting a height limit in maya and just looks wrong. when I scale it back, it still looks pancaked and has hard edges like I have max sharpened the steps of the normal (despite having tested with gaussian blur to see if it was just the image I am using)

This is odd. Did you make sure to use Tangent Space normal mapping instead of Bump or Object Space in the 2D Bump Attributes of the Maya material?

http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/maya2014/en_us/index.html?url=files/Asts_Viewing_tangent_space_or_object_space_normal_maps.htm,topicNumber=d30e623079
  • I figured it out eventually, maya software renderer does not do normal maps, it treats normal maps as bump maps for some reason. (un-documented anywhere obvious) its been that way since they introduced the normal map options apparently.

Using mental ray now.

and thanks for the speedy response!