Home ShaderMap Legacy

Tutorials - Carpet, Tiles, Wood, Concrete ?

Hi,

I see that the program has great potential. But I am missing tutorials on specific examples.

I have a problem such as how to get the natural look of ceramic mosaic. I have a texture plate from the manufacturer.

How do I obtain a smooth surface tiles and deeper than the fugue? The effect that I get is not satisfactory.

When there will be tutorials on how to do the popular texture for sure ShaderMap will be even more popular.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cwugyb8mzda43y8/MS-Finezza-1.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kpk51vi0xw6542e/2014-03-07 19_48_29-New Project - ShaderMap™.jpg

I suggest you add the possibility of posting images directly to this board. It will be easier to write posts and forum will be more alive.

Regards,

Comments

• skibbbi wrote:
    I see that the program has great potential. But I am missing tutorials on specific examples.

I am working on the user manual at the moment which provides two quick start guides but have been thinking about a site designed just for ShaderMap tutorials aimed at specific materials. This is a good idea.
    skibbbi wrote:
    I have a problem such as how to get the natural look of ceramic mosaic. I have a texture plate from the manufacturer.

How do I obtain a smooth surface tiles and deeper than the fugue? The effect that I get is not satisfactory.

What I did with the ceramic tile is to create a separate displacement (in Photoshop) using black (low) lines and white tiles. I then brought both the color and displacement maps into the project as source images. I generated the normal map from the line displacement and the specular from the color then blended that map with the displacement to ensure the grooves of the texture had no specular.

Here is what I came up with. The project file and images are attached and will only work with the latest BETA D version.

03_10_2014_a.jpg
  • RSI, thank you for your response. Very useful information. Most important is the sample file.

It's nice that you think about it to make a lot of tutorials. This is very time consuming. I think that at the beginning of the tutorials are enough like you did in my case. A few screenshots and a description of the sample file what to look for. That's enough. With this approach, you will be able to do more examples. Texturing do people with some experience. Enough concise guidance and example files.

Regarding mosaic. There is another small detail. How do I make the joints are matte, and only the tiles are glossy?
  • skibbbi wrote:
    Regarding mosaic. There is another small detail. How do I make the joints are matte, and only the tiles are glossy?

This is done on the specular map. Make the areas that you do not want glossy black. Areas that are gray to white will have a range of glossiness where white is the maximum specular lighting.
  • RSI, thank you for your response, again :)